Right now, that question is anyone's guess, as customers won't be able to get their hands on either one until next week. Still, there are some things we do know about the Nook and Fire that could help you decide which is the right device for you.
Size: The Kindle Fire is slightly smaller and thinner, but the Nook Tablet is a smidge lighter at 14.1 ounces compared with the Fire's 14.6 ounces. Barnes & Noble and Amazon both boast ease in holding the devices with one hand for an extended period of time.>Nook Tablet or Kindle Fire -- You Sound Off Display: While Barnes & Noble CEO William Lynch insists the screen of the Nook Tablet is far superior than that of Amazon's, on paper the specifications are the same: 7-inch screen, 1024x600 resolution and 169 pixels per inch. Lynch says what Amazon Fire lacks is a screen that is fully laminated with no air gaps, which provides "remarkable clarity and minimal glare." Battery: Nook Tablet wins on this one with 11.5 hours of reading or 9 hours of video playback, while Kindle Fire has just 8 hours of reading or 7.5 hours of video playback. Both of these estimates, however, are for when Wi-fi is turned off. Typically users don't turn the Wi-fi off on a multimedia tablet device, so just how long either of these will last per charge remains to be seen. Storage: The Nook tablet has 16 GB of built-in memory, which can be expanded to up to 32 GB with an SD card. Amazon has just 8 GB of storage and no SD slot. Both devices also have free cloud storage. Operating system/Processor: Both devices have 1 GHz dual-core CPUs with Texas Instruments OMAP 4 processor. The Nook has 1 GB of RAM, while Fire has 512 MB. One bonus on the Fire is the Silk web browser, which makes surfing the Internet faster than a normal dual-core processor.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV