NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Crude oil prices were gaining Monday morning as the dollar flattened against the euro on mixed assessments of the latest news on the eurozone's moves to control the debt crisis.
A weaker dollar usually supports dollar-priced oil prices.
West Texas Intermediate (WTI) light sweet crude oil for December delivery was rising 86 cents to $95.12 a barrel and the December European Brent crude contract was gaining $2.42 to $114.39.
"Rumors of Italian Prime Minister Berlusconi resigning appear far-fetched (and completely out of character), while Greece's Papandreou will step down as prime minister to pave the way for forming an interim government," says Matt Smith, commodity analyst at Schneider Electric's Summit Energy.Brent crude oil prices were leading price gains thanks to ongoing North Sea supply glitches and geopolitical risk-premiums stemming from concerns about Iran's increased ability to produce nuclear weapons. Oil price direction will take some guidance from more commodity-specific data from the Department of Energy's short-term energy outlook on Tuesday and the International Energy Agency's oil market report on Thursday, given the typical, thin volume of economic data in the second week of the month. Meanwhile, satellite imagery shows that crude oil stockpiles at trading hub Cushing, Okla. fell 4.4% last week on a year-over-year basis, notes futures broker Rich Ilczyszyn. Energy shares were trading mixed. EOG Resources (EOG) was falling 1.5% to $100.20; Suncor Energy (SU) was up 0.9% to $32.74; Apache (APA) was rising 1% to $101.18; Anadarko Petroleum (APC) was falling 1% to $81.65; BP (BP) was flat at $43.81; Chevron (CVX) was up 0.6% to $107.02; and Triangle Petroleum (TPLM) was up 0.5% to $5.82. -- Written by Andrea Tse in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Andrea Tse.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV