This past week First Solar (FSLR), one of the big players in the space, came out with earnings and guidance and was met with brokerage firm downgrades. This past weekend Barron's noted that First Solar "conceded that the strategy that it and other solar companies have been following is broken and that deep changes must be made to salvage the promise of renewable energy."
Another fundamental threat to the industry comes from Chinese solar companies and accusations that they are creating a supply glut which is hurting all competitors -- including Chinese companies themselves as most of those stocks are down 60% for the year, faring worse than the ETFs.
There could always be a "back from the dead" trade on these names and I would expect them to rally should the price of crude oil put in a repeat of 2008 when it went to almost $150 per barrel. The conflict here is investing with the heart vs. logical investing. A lot has to go right for these stocks to achieve the potential perceived in 2008 and that seems very unlikely.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV