NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Several years ago I wrote a couple of articles for TheStreet that were negatively slanted toward investing in solar stocks. I called them a fad. To preface this update, it would be great if things like solar panels on every roof or turning uninhabited desert in Arizona and Nevada into solar farms made economic sense, but for now they don't.
There have been two types of obstacles that have existed for this group and for now there are no signs of improvement.
The first is the extent to which solar companies have relied on tax credits or other forms of subsidy for their customers to buy and install the product. This is not just a U.S. phenomenon but is also the case in Germany, as evidenced by that country's large weighting in the Guggenheim Solar Energy ETF (TAN) and the Market Vectors Solar (KWT).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV