A financial adviser recently noted that the one bill Americans once prioritized above all others was their rent or mortgage, but today he sees that "important" bill being their cellphone and smartphone charges.
One might debate whether that's hyperbole, but the addiction to communication has kept AT&T (T) atop the world's most valuable brands. It was No. 7 in BrandZ's rankings, with a brand value of nearly $70 billion.
Although the company's rapid growth in recent years went flat post-recession, it was well positioned to recover quickly with enviable cash reserves and loyal investors kept happy with a high dividend.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV