It is cynical (and not always accurate) to ascribe a boost in alcohol sales to a down economy. Nevertheless, America loves beer and Budweiser (BUD) has done an admirable job building its brand during, and since, the recession.
In BrandZ's 2011 ranking, Budweiser reclaimed the top spot among beers, beating out its own sister brand Bud Light.
Brand Z says that "because of distribution challenges, only Budweiser and a few other beer brands, such as Stella Artois, enjoyed global recognition.Also helping Bud's case is its taking over an NFL sponsorship from Coors (TAP). The key to a beer brand's success -- whether it's Bud, Miller Light, Guinness or Heineken -- is relatively straightforward, according to BrandZ: "When people bought less, they spent on what they liked."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV