It is cynical (and not always accurate) to ascribe a boost in alcohol sales to a down economy. Nevertheless, America loves beer and Budweiser (BUD) has done an admirable job building its brand during, and since, the recession.
In BrandZ's 2011 ranking, Budweiser reclaimed the top spot among beers, beating out its own sister brand Bud Light.
Brand Z says that "because of distribution challenges, only Budweiser and a few other beer brands, such as Stella Artois, enjoyed global recognition.Also helping Bud's case is its taking over an NFL sponsorship from Coors (TAP). The key to a beer brand's success -- whether it's Bud, Miller Light, Guinness or Heineken -- is relatively straightforward, according to BrandZ: "When people bought less, they spent on what they liked."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV