Sullivan singles out Southwest Airlines (LUV) as being better positioned than some of its rivals in a sluggish economy.
"If you look t the airline category, Southwest has an advantage during a recession because it is perceived to be lower-priced and better value," she says. "Some people would argue that it has better service."
Southwest cultivates trust by not overpromising, something successful companies across all industries and price points have needed to do post-recession, she says.In a survey of 1,400 high net worth people about their attitudes around the recession, Sullivan says she found "that it is really important that marketers acknowledge the situation and be authentic and study language that resonates with people versus language that is not believable." "Words like 'ensured' and 'results' and 'savings' are really good; saying things like 'dreams come true' are really bad because they weren't believable," she says. "Customers love words like 'experience,' 'certified' and 'customized" because it made them feel like they were making a good, rational decision."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV