In BrandZ's 14th spot and rising, Amazon (AMZN) has continued to benefit from a perception of value and convenience.
"Illustrating how dramatically shopping has changed, Amazon, the online company with no stores, surpassed Wal-Mart (WMT) as the most valuable retail brand," BrandZ says. "The company continued to add categories last year, even food, to drive traffic."
Traditional bricks-and-mortar retailers have also weathered the economic storm by cultivating a perception of balancing price point and value, according to Sullivan.For example, Ikea (which saw its brand value increase 28%) has persevered in the furniture space. "This focus on value isn't just limited to the lower price points," she says. "I think another example of a company that has done a tremendous job of focusing on value is Target (TGT). They help consumers justify their purchase. It offers whimsical products, but it is perceived to offer great value -- you can get that great design at a much lower price than you would get somewhere else."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV