NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Twice in October, bankers, investors and bleary-eyed journalists came into their offices wondering if Merger Monday was back.
It was the second-largest takeover of the year after AT&T's (T) now challenged $39 billion purchase of T-Mobile in March. Not to be outdone, before the market open that Monday, Norwegian oil giant Statoil (STO) said it was buying Brigham Exploration (BEXP) for $4.4 billion in an all-cash deal valuing the company at $36.50 a share.
The deals came as a surprise. Banks were beginning to report that their investment banking divisions had some of their
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV