NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Twice in October, bankers, investors and bleary-eyed journalists came into their offices wondering if Merger Monday was back.
It was the second-largest takeover of the year after AT&T's (T) now challenged $39 billion purchase of T-Mobile in March. Not to be outdone, before the market open that Monday, Norwegian oil giant Statoil (STO) said it was buying Brigham Exploration (BEXP) for $4.4 billion in an all-cash deal valuing the company at $36.50 a share.
The deals came as a surprise. Banks were beginning to report that their investment banking divisions had some of their worst earnings since the crisis in the quarter ended in September -- Europe's sovereign debt and banking system added an even darker pall over dealmaking.At first glance, the merger flurry signaled that energy companies were pouncing on opportunistic takeover prices. We called the deals an energy M&A boom. Then on Monday, Oct 24, Oracle (ORCL), Cigna (CI), J.M. Smucker (SJM) and Mattel (MAT) announced billions more worth of takeovers. Without a common theme, we decided Merger Monday was back. With what many say is a stock market ripe with low-priced companies ready to picked up by an aggressive player, TheStreet thought it was time to go back in time and find the all-time greats in Merger Monday history. According to data compiled by Bloomberg, below are a list of the 10 biggest deals in Merger Monday history (we've counted weekends and Monday evenings). From our deals dig, it looks like Dow Jones Industrial Average components AT&T (T), Pfizer (PFE) and Bank of America (BAC) like to work on Mondays. The list also shows just how far gone we are from bumper dealmaking years. Click through for the deals.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV