Groupon also landed itself in trouble with the SEC by failing to adhere to the "quiet period" norms which prohibit a company from making public announcements for a specific duration before it goes public. After the release of Andrew Mason's leaked memo, which contained forward-looking financial statements, investors started becoming more wary of the company's leadership and conduct.
With low barriers to entry and a highly duplicable business model, Groupon's competition is only expected to increase further. In addition to the big players such as LivingSocial and Google Offers, the daily discount market is flooded with hundreds of daily deal clone sites. This is expected to make the market more fragmented in future, making it difficult for Groupon to maintain its dominance. We believe this visible increase in competition in the last several months has contributed to the fall in valuation for the company.
We recently launched coverage on our analysis of Groupon with a $7.9 billion valuation estimate.
Click here to find out how a company's products impact its stock price at Trefis.Like our charts? Embed them in your own posts using the Trefis Wordpress Plugin.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV