"We continue to hire and are always looking for qualified people," James Beer, the CFO of software giant Symantec (SYMC)," told TheStreet. "We're not forecasting specific hiring targets, but as anyone can see on our website, we have a number of positions open and are indeed hiring, particularly in the area of engineering."
|Silicon Valley has hit the hiring trail.|
The Mountain View, Calif.-based company, which reported record second-quarter revenue last week, has seen continued demand for its security and storage software.
Recent research has pointed to a slowdown in U.S. high-tech job losses, with software cited as the healthiest part of the market."The biggest demand in our workforce is software engineers," said Patrick Lo, CEO of San Jose-based wireless networking specialist Netgear (NTGR). "I know that the nation is going through the pain of 9% unemployment, but in Silicon Valley, you just don't feel it." It's not just the Bay Area, though, that offers employment opportunities. Netgear, which recruits nationwide, also has thriving development centers in Chicago and Atlanta, according to Lo. Gordon Coburn, the CFO of Teaneck, N.J.-based IT consulting and services firm Cognizant (CTSH) has also been chasing talent. "During the third quarter, we increased our headcount by 12,000 sequentially - we're up to 130,000 people
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV