Groupon story updated with analyst commentary
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Groupon (GRPN) opened at $28 a share on the Nasdaq on Friday, soaring 40% from its initial offer price. Shares continued to hover around the same price during afternoon trading after climbing as high as $31.34.
The pop in the stock price comes despite widespread criticism of the daily deals site after shake-ups among its management team, scrutiny over its accounting metrics and concerns about its long-term ability to turn a profit.
On Thursday night, Groupon priced shares of the offering at $20, above the range of $16 to $18 it had initially sought. The company netted $700 million in the stock sale, valuing the daily deals site at close to $13 billion.
|Groupon CEO Andrew Mason|
>To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/Ozoran. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV