On a non-GAAP basis, the private equity firm reported a $621.7 million loss in economic net income after taxes and was equal to 91 cents a share. At this time last year, KKR earned economic net income of $317.3 million, or 39 cents a share. Its loss beat analysts' estimates of $1.02 a share that were surveyed by Bloomberg. Still, it was the firm's largest ever loss since going public in 2010.
The decline comes from unrealized losses of investments, which in spite of rising management fee revenue, pushed earnings into negative territory. KKR took down the value of its private equity investments by 8.5% in the quarter, reflecting an investing loss of $688 million. Nevertheless, investments are still up 1.5% nine months into the year and free earnings increased over 40% in the quarter to $98.2 million.
KKR shares fell over 3% in early trading at $13.09 a share. The company's stock has fallen over 7% this year, but has gained nearly 40% since its 2010 IPO.In the third quarter, the S&P 500 index fell 14% and the MSCI World Index dropped 17%. Meanwhile, the VIX, a gauge of general risk aversion, averaged 31 during the quarter reflecting an almost doubling of fear from the second quarter's average level of 17. In the quarter, KKR's biggest deal was a divestiture of a Banco Santander unit for $1 billion, according to Bloomberg data. This year its biggest deal is a $3.5 billion
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV