Gas deliveries to industrial customers in the first nine months of 2011 were 343 million therms, or 1 percent higher than 341 million therms in the same period last year. Margin from industrial customers increased 1 percent to $21.1 million.
The company’s gas cost incentive sharing mechanism in Oregon provided a margin contribution of $1.3 million in the first nine months of 2011 compared to a contribution of $1.1 million in the first nine months of 2010.
Operations and maintenance costs
Operations and maintenance expense was 5 percent higher in the first nine months of 2011, compared to 2010, primarily due to first-year operating costs at Gill Ranch Storage. The company’s utility operations and maintenance expenses were down $0.1 million from the previous year. Utility bad debt expense as a percent of revenues was well below 1 percent at 0.24 percent for the 12 months ended Sept. 30, 2011.Other taxes In January 2010, the Oregon Supreme Court ruled in the company’s favor regarding litigation with the Oregon Department of Revenue over whether certain inventories held for resale should be taxed as personal property. As a result of the Oregon Supreme Court ruling, the company was refunded a net $6.1 million in the first quarter of 2010 related to taxes paid in earlier years. Cash flows and capital structure Cash provided by operations in the first nine months of 2011 was $191.3 million, compared to $114.5 million in 2010. The increase was primarily due to working capital timing differences, partially offset by lower net income. NW Natural’s capitalization at September 30, 2011 reflected 45.8 percent common equity, 39.6 percent long-term debt, and 14.6 percent short-term debt and current maturities of long-term debt. This compared to 45.9 percent common equity, 40.2 percent long-term debt, and 13.9 percent of short-term debt and current maturities of long-term debt at September 30, 2010.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV