Waiting for the Cable Guy Is Costing You Money
By Cindy Perman, CNBC.com staff writer
NEW YORK (CNBC) -- People often joke about how much waiting for the cable guy and other service people is costing them -- in time and billable hours. Well, now someone has actually done the math.
Doesn't it just make you want to set that little Post-It note on fire in the front yard for when the guy comes back? CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?
It costs a whopping $37.7 billion a year for the time customers spent waiting on someone to come fix, install or deliver something, according to a new "Cost of Waiting" study from TOA Technologies. The company makes software that helps businesses better track their service people and narrow down the window of time customers have to wait.
Americans waited 4.3 hours on average -- more than double of what the individuals had expected. On an individual basis, that works out to about $250 a year, or two full working days, that we waste waiting for everything from the cable, phone, Internet or utility guy to a retail home delivery.
More from CNBC
Candidates Court Businesses, With Mixed Results
World's 10 Worst Countries for Business
Dick Bove: We've Gone Nuts
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV