|LinkedIn CEO Jeff Weiner|
The professional networking site racked up third-quarter revenue of $139.5 million, a massive hike from $61.8 million in the same period last year. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters were looking for sales of $127.61 million.
On a GAAP basis, LinkedIn registered a loss of 2 cents a share on a net loss of $1.6 million, compared to net income of $4 million in the same period last year. Analysts were looking for a loss of 4 cents a share.Excluding items, LinkedIn earned 6 cents a share on net income of $6.6. million, up from net income of $6 million in the prior year's quarter. Investors, however, were unimpressed by LinkedIn's numbers, pushing the company's shares down $9.33, or 10.66%, to $78.17 in extended trading. Undeterred, LinkedIn CEO Jeff Weiner lauded the company's achievements. "LinkedIn had a strong third quarter, with significant, broad-based growth across all of our revenue streams, member engagement metrics, geographies, and sales channels," he said, in a statement released after market close. "Our results underscore the long-term strength of our global platform and our business model." Proving that the company can exploit a tough economy, LinkedIn's membership grew to 131.2 million people during the third quarter, a 63% year-over-year increase. The Mountain View, Calif.-based firm also offered robust fourth-quarter guidance, predicting revenue between $154 million and $158 million, well above analysts' forecast of $147.94 million. -- Written by James Rogers in New York >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/jamesjrogers. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV