Hedge fund manager John Paulson, a 56-year-old billionaire, is having the fight of his investment life this year.
His Advantage Plus fund, for example, fell 47% in the first nine months of the year, and had disappointing results in October as well. He lost big on bets on financial stocks, which continue to underperform. That led to speculation that pension funds and other institutional investors may decide to redeem their stakes, forcing him to sell investments to meet those demands, but recent reports say that hasn't happened.
Paulson built his reputation by by betting against subprime mortgages in 2007 and 2008 and his funds profited by about $20 billion. His firm now manages roughly $30 billion, but he and his investment team control about half that.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV