Research In Motion (RIMM), the Canadian maker of the BlackBerry smartphone, is seeing competition from other smartphone makers such as iPhone maker Apple erode its market share just as sales for such devices is growing by 50% annually.
And once smartphone users switch to other makers, they tend to stick, so this could be a sinking ship. The BlackBerry was plagued by a series of service outages in the U.S. and internationally early in October. And on Thursday, its top executive in India resigned.
Co-CEO Jim Balsillie, 50, once a billionaire, is now reportedly down to his last $800 million, but that hasn't kept him from trying to buy a National Hockey League team, so shed no tears for him. But the company's shares are down 67% this year and that's got to put a dent in that fortune.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV