Oil giant British Petroleum (BP) has a reputation as a carefree polluter. Robert Dudley became CEO of the company about four months after one of its drilling rigs off the coast of Louisiana exploded and sank, killing 11 people and sending an oil slick throughout the Gulf of Mexico in one of the worst man-made environmental disasters in history.
BP burnished its image for arrogance and insensitivity a few weeks later when then CEO Tony Hayward called the leak "relatively tiny," and later, in obvious frustration, said "I'd like my life back," essentially trivializing the lives of Gulf Coast residents dependent on the Gulf for their livelihood.
But BP's poor environmental record in the U.S. and other countries goes way back. In 1991, it was cited as the most polluting company in the U.S. based on EPA toxic-release data. As a result of its reputation, it's facing a tougher fight to get new drilling permits in the U.S. where it still faces massive civil claims, and internationally. And a recent tentative joint venture deal with a Russian oil exploration giant is troubled.Who with a conscience would want to work there?
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV