Peter Wilhelm, the chief financial officer of the Los Angeles Dodgers for the past five years, has been in the middle of a War of the Roses-like divorce of team owners Frank McCourt and his wife, Jamie. Their bitter split-up contributed to the team's recent bankruptcy. In doing so, they managed to kill a golden goose and just about cooked what should be one of the premiere franchises in professional sports.
It must have been a tough period for Wilhem, one of the best business minds in sports, as he has been an adviser on more than 30 acquisitions of teams in all four major leagues, including the Dodgers, Washington Nationals, Cleveland Cavaliers, Anaheim Ducks, Seattle Supersonics and Georgia Force.
McCourt agreed to sell the Dodgers Tuesday as part of the bankruptcy proceedings. McCourt's eight-year "stewardship" resulted in four playoff appearances, one divorce, one bankruptcy, and an allegation that he spent $189 million of team money on personal expenses. At least Wilhelm now has a clean slate.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV