- AIG reports loss of $4.1 billion or $2.16 per share.
- Operating loss at $1.60 per share versus estimates of 30 cent per share loss.
- Takes $1.5 billion charge on International Lease Finance Corporation.
The insurance giant reported a net loss of $4.1 billion and an after-tax loss of $3 billion for the third quarter, compared with a net loss of $2.5 billion and an after-tax operating loss of $114 million for the third quarter of 2010. The third quarter 2011 after-tax operating loss per share was $1.60, compared with an after-tax operating loss per share of $0.84 for the third quarter last year.
Analysts were expecting the company to record an operating loss of 30 cents, though the range of estimates varied widely.AIG recorded a $1.5 billion charge on International Lease Finance Corporation, to reflect various "economic, technological, and specific counterparty issues" that were identified in the quarter. The insurance company also saw a $2.3 billion decline in the fair value of its holdings in AIA, while widening credit spreads and declining interest rates drove declines in the fair value of its mortgage backed securities portfolio. "Despite the difficult external environment, we are encouraged by the progress we've made and the underlying strength of our core insurance businesses. Across AIG, we are seeing strong sales momentum as our employees continue to act as trusted partners to our customers, providing them with real value by consistently delivering quality insurance and investment products and services," said Robert H. Benmosche, AIG President and Chief Executive Officer. Separately, the firm announced a plan to buyback $1 billion worth of common shares. Shares were up 0.4% in aftermarket hours. --Written by Shanthi Bharatwaj in New York
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV