WINDERMERE, Fla. ( Stockpickr) -- Technology stocks have basically done nothing so far in 2011 when you take a look at the performance of the Nasdaq. The tech-heavy index is up just 1.2% year-to-date. That's basically a flat performance on the year, and it shows market players have had little buying interest in technology stocks.
Many of the top technology names have been hammered in the past year. For example, take a look at the performance of BlackBerry maker Research In Motion (RIMM). This well-known tech player has been destroyed by the sellers, with the stock off by 65% on the year.
Another popular tech stock that's been hammered is computer hardware player Hewlett-Packard (HPQ). Shares of HPQ have traded lower by over 35% in 2011.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV