“We remain optimistic about our business as we begin the fourth quarter and believe we have identified the right strategies and compelling assortments to optimize the holiday season,” Mr. Reinckens continued. “Validating this is our October comparable store sales, which were up 17.5% for the four-week period, improving upon the first nine months of the year. In addition, we are very pleased with the performance of our recently upgraded web platform as evidenced by our e-commerce sales, which are up over 100% in October. In total, we remain confident in our strategies and our ability to generate continued progress toward our long term goals.”
For the 39-week period ended October 1, 2011:
- Net sales increased 6.9% to $161.0 million from $150.6 million in the first nine months of fiscal 2010. Comparable store sales increased 6.4%, as compared to a decrease of 0.6% in the first nine months of fiscal 2010;
- Gross profit increased 20.2% to $69.2 million, or 43.0% of net sales compared to $57.6 million, or 38.2% of net sales, in the first nine months of fiscal 2010;
- Operating loss totaled $143,000, as compared to an operating loss of $13.3 million in the first nine months of fiscal 2010; and
- Net income was $205,000 or $0.02 per share. This compares to a net loss of $8.2 million or ($0.64) per share in the first nine months of fiscal 2010, which included $0.08 per share in legal fees.
Gross profit for the third quarter of fiscal 2011 was $19.8 million, or 40.6% of net sales, compared to $15.9 million, or 34.9% of net sales, in the third quarter of fiscal 2010. For the first nine months of fiscal 2011, gross profit was $69.2 million, or 43.0% of net sales, compared to $57.6 million, or 38.2% of net sales, in the first nine months of fiscal 2010. Gross profit margin expansion in the third quarter and first nine months of fiscal 2011 was primarily driven by an increase in full price sales, an increase in initial mark-up and by lower markdowns as a percent of sales.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV