Third Bankruptcy Filing No Charm for Filene's
BOSTON ( TheStreet) -- The third time isn't a charm and likely spells the end for Filene's Basement, which on Wednesday filed for bankruptcy for the third time.
Syms (SYMS), which owns Filene's, the discount clothing retailer, also filed for Chapter 11 protection.
Both retailers plan to close in January after the holiday season.
"This has been a challenging time for Syms and Filene's Basement. We have been faced with increased competition from large department stores that now offer the same brands as our stores at similar discounts," CEO Marcy Syms said in a statement.Shares of Syms rose 88 cents, or 11.5%, to $8.55 on Wednesday. Syms acquired Filene's Basement out of bankruptcy in 2009. Filene's also filed for bankruptcy in 1999. -- Written by Joseph Woelfel
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Joseph Woelfel >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV