Updated with market close information.
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Bank stocks recovered on Wednesday after two days of heavy selling, holding on to most earlier gains after a monetary policy announcement and press conference by Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke.
The winner among U.S. financial names was Mastercard (MA), with shares rising 7% to close at $357.66, after the payments processor reported third-quarter earnings of $717 million, or $5.63 a share, beating the consensus estimate of $4.82 among analysts polled by Thomson Reuters.
Shares of rival processor Visa (V) rose 2% to close at $91.50.
Philip van Doorn. To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/PhilipvanDoorn.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV