While the company swung to a loss and continues to see its revenue decline, its advertising revenue helped AOL surpass analysts' estimates for the quarter.
As a result, shares of the Internet giant soared 12% to $15.06, after being down more than 40% year to date prior to the release.
During the quarter, the company lost $2.6 million, or 2 cents a share, compared with a profit of $171.6 million, or $1.61, in the year-ago period.Revenue fell 6% to $531.7 million, easily topping analysts' estimates of $524 million. Revenue has declined every quarter since late 2009. AOL continues to lose subscribers, with subscription revenue declining 22% to $192 million. Subscriptions represent about 36% of total revenue. Total advertising revenue grew 8% to $317.7 million, with the company noting strength in third-party network ads and global display advertising revenue. "Third-quarter results were ahead of expectations, and while this should be positive for stock near-term, we are still awaiting confirmation of a turnaround in revenue growth and sustained margin expansion, something that could materialize in the first half of 2012," Jeffries analyst Youssef Squali wrote in a note. -Reported by Jeanine Poggi in New York. Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV