Sandra W. Callahan
Thank you, Mark. Good afternoon, everyone, and thank you for joining us in the middle of a very earnings season ahead of the EEI meeting next week. In consideration of the time of day, I'll keep my remarks brief in order to allow plenty of time for questions. Today, I'll cover our third quarter and year-to-date results, discuss our new reserve discovery at TECO Coal, provide an update on the Florida economy and comment on our outlook for the remainder of this year and a preliminary outlook for 2012.
In the third quarter, GAAP net income was $90.2 million, or $0.42 a share, compared to $74.1 million, or $0.24 a share in 2010. The results in 2010 included the $24 million pretax, onetime refund at Tampa Electric. The non-GAAP comparison for 2010 is $74.1 million, or $0.35 per share, which excludes net charges of $23.1 million, primarily for taxes on the undistributed earnings at DECA II, which we sold last year.
On a year-to-date basis, GAAP net income in 2011 was $219.4 million, or $1.02 per share, compared to $182.4 million, or $0.85 in 2010. And again, the 2010 non-GAAP results were $226.6 million, or $1.06 per share, excluding charges of $44 million, primarily for the DECA II taxes affecting the quarter and for debt-retirement premiums.The results drivers for the quarter and year-to-date periods were covered extensively in our earnings release, so I'll just hit a few highlights. We were pleased to see our eighth consecutive quarter of customer growth at the Florida utilities and also to see at both companies an uptick in growth in the third quarter from what we were experiencing earlier in the year. Tampa Electric was up to 8/10 of 1% in the quarter, which is the highest level we've seen since the fourth quarter of 2007.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV