Whereas risk adverse investors may be deterred from entered these afflicted nations, aggressive individuals may find funds like TUR and THD attractive. As we witnessed in the initial days following the Japanese earthquake and tsunami, it is not uncommon to see droves of investors pile into afflicted regions in hopes of taking advantage of the eventual recovery and rebuilding efforts. Any exposure, however, must be kept small. Additionally, investors should remain flexible. In the event that headwinds crop up and sentiment turns south, individuals must be prepared to take steps needed to mitigate losses.
As we have seen throughout 2011, it is difficult to anticipate where the next natural phenomena will take place. This does not mean, however, that investors can not prepare themselves. By maintaining conservative exposure to emerging markets, it is possible to lessen the negative effects of natural, political, and economic upheavals.
Written by Don Dion in Williamstown, Mass.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV