NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- The Bespoke Investment Group sees the fourth quarter as the best period for U.S. equities in 2011. Historical averages show that stock markets perk up in the last quarter of the year. In the last 20 years, the U.S. stock market averaged +4.57% in the fourth quarters, and advanced in 24 of 30 fourth quarters in the last 30 years with an average price return of better than 7%.
Also, Reuters polled 350 stock market analysts worldwide after the third quarter, and their forecast was that 18 of the 19 major world stock indices would either advance or post negligible losses in the fourth quarter. In addition, a Bloomberg survey of 12 Wall Street strategists in early October reveals that the 2011 fourth quarter rally would be the best in 13 years. The S&P 500 is forecast to surge 15% in the fourth quarter.
These five stocks from sectors like aluminum, technology, and automobile have potential upsides ranging from 24% to 44%. The average buy rating for these stocks is 75%, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. There are no sell ratings on these stocks.The stocks are arranged in ascending order of upside potential.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV