For the nine-month period ended September 30, 2011, the Company reported net income of $33.3 million and net income available to common stockholders of $28.2 million, or $0.28 per diluted common share on operating revenues of $215.9 million. This compares to net income of $53.5 million and net income available to common stockholders of $46.7 million, or $0.50 per diluted common share on operating revenues of $187.2 million, for the same period in 2010.
The year-to-date decrease in net income was primarily due to: (i) increased depreciation expense associated with over $660 million of new investments (including capital improvements) made throughout 2010 and 2011; (ii) impairment charges related to five real estate assets recorded in the first quarter of 2011; (iii) increased interest expense associated with debt instruments issued and assumed in 2010 primarily related to the asset acquisitions from CapitalSource Inc. (“CapitalSource”); (iv) provisions for uncollectible accounts receivable related to one of our operators; and (v) income associated with cash received from a legal settlement in the first quarter of 2010. This impact was partially offset by revenue associated with the new investments completed in 2010 and 2011. In addition to the aforementioned items, net income available to common stockholders was also reduced by a non-cash charge related to the redemption of the Company’s 8.375% Series D Cumulative Redeemable Preferred Stock in the first quarter of 2011.
THIRD QUARTER 2011 HIGHLIGHTS AND OTHER RECENT DEVELOPMENTS
- In October 2011, the Company completed approximately $69 million of new investments.
- In October 2011, the Company declared its quarterly common stock dividend of $0.40 per share.
- In September 2011, the Company sold a skilled nursing facility for approximately $4.2 million resulting in a gain of approximately $1.8 million.
- In August 2011, the Company’s Board of Directors authorized a $100 million Stock Repurchase Program.
- In August 2011, the Company entered into a new $475 million unsecured revolving credit facility.
THIRD QUARTER 2011 RESULTSOperating Revenues and Expenses – Operating revenues for the three-month period ended September 30, 2011 were $72.8 million. Operating expenses for the three-month period ended September 30, 2011, excluding nursing home expenses for owned and operated assets, totaled $29.3 million and were composed of $24.9 million of depreciation and amortization expense, $2.9 million of general and administrative expense and $1.5 million of stock-based compensation expense. A reconciliation of these amounts to revenues and expenses reported in accordance with GAAP is provided at the end of this release. Other Income and Expense – Other income and expense for the three-month period ended September 30, 2011 was a net expense of $23.8 million, which was composed of: (i) $20.1 million of interest expense; (ii) $3.1 million to write-off deferred financing costs associated with the termination of the Company’s 2010 credit facility; and (iii) $0.6 million of amortized deferred financing costs. Funds From Operations – For the three-month period ended September 30, 2011, reportable FFO available to common stockholders was $44.5 million, or $0.43 per common share on 103 million weighted-average common shares outstanding, compared to $42.5 million, or $0.44 per common share on 96 million weighted-average common shares outstanding, for the same period in 2010. The $44.5 million of FFO for the three-month period ended September 30, 2011 includes the impact of the $3.1 million write-off of deferred financing costs, approximately $1.5 million of non-cash stock-based compensation expense, and a $148 thousand net loss associated with owned and operated assets.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV