General Cable Corp.
General Cable (BGC) was the big loser in the extended session after the Highland Heights, Ky.-based wire company disappointed with its fiscal third-quarter report, blaming weak business conditions in Europe and customers deferring purchases late in the quarter because of fluctuations in commodity prices.
The stock was last quoted at $24.01, down 14%, on volume of more than 65,000.
The company reported operating income of $63.4 million, down 21% on a sequential basis from an equivalent profit of $79.8 million in the second quarter. Revenue totaled $1.52 billion for the September-ended quarter, below Wall Street's consensus estimate of $1.61 billion."Our third quarter results reflect continuing weak conditions in Europe and the impact of significant currency volatility and rapid commodity deflation in the latter portion of the quarter," said Gregory Kenny, the company's president and CEO, in a statement. In ROW
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Michael Baron. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV