A.M. Best Co. has affirmed the financial strength rating (FSR) of A+ (Superior) and issuer credit ratings (ICR) of “aa-” of Mercury Casualty Group (Mercury) (Los Angeles, CA) and its members. Additionally, A.M. Best has affirmed the FSR of A- (Excellent) and ICRs of “a-” of American Mercury Insurance Group (AMI) (Oklahoma City, OK) and its members. Concurrently, A.M. Best has affirmed the ICR of “a-” of Mercury and AMI’s parent, Mercury General Corporation (Los Angeles, CA) (NYSE: MCY). The outlook for all ratings is stable. (See below for a detailed listing of the companies and ratings.)
Mercury’s ratings reflect its solid risk-adjusted capital position, consistently favorable operating performance and the competitive advantage within its core personal auto segment. Mercury’s capitalization is supported by strong operating returns through profitable underwriting performance and consistent investment income. This is somewhat offset by Mercury’s sizeable shareholder dividends in recent years, which has constrained surplus growth.
Mercury’s competitive advantage in its core personal auto segment is derived through pricing and risk classification expertise, strong independent agency relationships and aggressive claims management practices. Mercury also benefits from the financial flexibility of Mercury General Corporation due to its modest financial leverage and access to capital markets.
AMI’s ratings recognize its adequate level of risk-adjusted capital, improved catastrophe risk management and the demonstrated history of financial support provided by its parent. These positive rating factors are offset by AMI’s elevated underwriting leverage, its relatively high expense structure and continued exposure to catastrophe losses in its operating region.The FSR of A+ (Superior) and ICRs of “aa-” have been affirmed for Mercury Casualty Group and its following members:
- Mercury Casualty Company
- Mercury Insurance Company
- California Automobile Insurance Company
- Mercury Indemnity Company of Georgia
- Mercury Insurance Company of Georgia
- Mercury Insurance Company of Illinois
- Mercury National Insurance Company
- Mercury Insurance Company of Florida
- Mercury Indemnity Company of America
- American Mercury Insurance Company
- American Mercury Lloyds Insurance Company
- Mercury County Mutual Insurance Company
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV