Columbia Banking System Inc. Stock Upgraded (COLB)
- COLUMBIA BANKING SYSTEM INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, COLUMBIA BANKING SYSTEM INC turned its bottom line around by earning $0.73 versus -$0.44 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.92 versus $0.73).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Commercial Banks industry. The net income increased by 262.6% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $5.20 million to $18.87 million.
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 20.7%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 20.1%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for COLUMBIA BANKING SYSTEM INC is currently very high, coming in at 93.40%. It has increased significantly from the same period last year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 27.40% significantly outperformed against the industry average.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. When compared to other companies in the Commercial Banks industry and the overall market, COLUMBIA BANKING SYSTEM INC's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts