Morningstar Ranks Top College Savings Plans
Morningstar focused on 58 plans that together manage more than 95% of the $133 billion in U.S. 529 plan assets. Of the plans reviewed, 15 got "Above Average" ratings, 30 were designated "Average" and seven "Below Average."
"Overall, the 529 industry has grown more competitive and responsive to college savers' needs over the past year," said Laura Pavlenko Lutton, editorial director for fund research at Morningstar and a lead author of the study, in a statement. "Plans have lowered fees, offered better investment options and expanded distribution choices. None of the plans we reviewed this year warranted a 'Bottom' rating."
The 2011 529 College Savings Plans Research Paper and Industry Survey also compared the performance and fees of 529 investment options and quantified the tax benefits associated with each state's 529 plans.
Among the other findings by Morningstar in this year's report:
- 529 plan assets increased by 12% over the previous 12 months (through Sept. 30). That growth outpaced market returns for the period.
- Conservative allocation options in 529 plans gained the most in asset flows during the first nine months of 2011 among Morningstar's static-allocation categories.
- Virginia had the most 529 plan assets of any state, with more than $29 billion in its adviser-sold and direct-sold plans.
- "Open architecture" plans -- which include a variety of asset managers' funds in their offerings -- did not have a consistent performance edge during the past year over "closed architecture" plans, which feature just a single firm's portfolio strategies.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Joe Mont. Readers Also Like: >>Best and Worst Funds in October's Big Rally >>5 Media Firms With the Most to Win or Lose
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV