- 529 plan assets increased by 12% over the previous 12 months (through Sept. 30). That growth outpaced market returns for the period.
- Conservative allocation options in 529 plans gained the most in asset flows during the first nine months of 2011 among Morningstar's static-allocation categories.
- Virginia had the most 529 plan assets of any state, with more than $29 billion in its adviser-sold and direct-sold plans.
- "Open architecture" plans -- which include a variety of asset managers' funds in their offerings -- did not have a consistent performance edge during the past year over "closed architecture" plans, which feature just a single firm's portfolio strategies.
Morningstar Ranks Top College Savings Plans
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.