- 529 plan assets increased by 12% over the previous 12 months (through Sept. 30). That growth outpaced market returns for the period.
- Conservative allocation options in 529 plans gained the most in asset flows during the first nine months of 2011 among Morningstar's static-allocation categories.
- Virginia had the most 529 plan assets of any state, with more than $29 billion in its adviser-sold and direct-sold plans.
- "Open architecture" plans -- which include a variety of asset managers' funds in their offerings -- did not have a consistent performance edge during the past year over "closed architecture" plans, which feature just a single firm's portfolio strategies.
Morningstar Ranks Top College Savings Plans
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts