Additionally, I want to note that today's remarks include certain non-GAAP financial measures, including EBITDA, adjusted EBITDA, and adjusted EBITDA margin. Our earnings release includes the full reconciliation of these non-GAAP financial measures to the related GAAP financial measures.
And with that, I'll turn the call to Pam.
Pamela H. Patsley
Thanks Alex. Good morning everyone. We had a great third quarter at MoneyGram across the board and in spite of continued global economic challenges, we had excellent results. Both total revenue as well as fee and other revenue increased 10% led by impressive performance in our core money transfer business. Money transfer transactions increased 13% but constant currency revenue increasing 12%. Growth in the money transfer business was solid in all regions with newest US sends increasing 16%. US outbound sends increasing 9% and sends originating outside of the US increasing 16%.We increased our global agent locations by 24%, ending the quarter with 256,000 global agent locations. Our focus in squarely on agents’ productivity with this growing base. Adjusted EBITDA for the quarter increased 6% to $72 million and diluted earnings per share was $0.03. Adjusted EBITDA margin was a strong 22.4% and while down slightly from the third quarter in 2010, adjusted EBITDA margin is up sequentially from 20.7% in the second quarter. On a year-over-year basis, the reduction in margin is related to our planned increase in marketing expense during the quarter of $1.1 million, along with lower net investment revenue and lower operating income from our bill payment business. Now, taking a closer look at our money transfer business. During the quarter, our US to US business again delivered impressive year-over-year transaction growth. 16% for the quarter just ended. This is our fifth consecutive quarter of double-digit transaction growth in this line of business, US to US.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV