China definitively announcing an end to tightening and/or offering up stimulus could bolster SPDR Metals and Mining (XME) as well as Australia (EWA) and South Africa (EZA). A pleasant trajectory in the upcoming employment data may boost Vanguard Consumer Discretionary (VCR).
3. Profit-Taking and Tax-Loss Harvesting. Even as the S&P 500 rocketed 3.4% in the singular Thursday session, volume was only average for the S&P 500 SPDR Trust (SPY). In fact, institutional investors sold $521,000,000 of SPY into the day's strength.
Considering the sheer size and scope of SPY, this isn't a monstrous hit to the net assets. Nor would I regard it as a bearish sign. However, it may indicate a high level of interest in taking profits. It should also give folks reason to expect a higher-than-normal amount of volatility for November and December, as there will be plenty of investors needing to
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV