China definitively announcing an end to tightening and/or offering up stimulus could bolster SPDR Metals and Mining (XME) as well as Australia (EWA) and South Africa (EZA). A pleasant trajectory in the upcoming employment data may boost Vanguard Consumer Discretionary (VCR).
3. Profit-Taking and Tax-Loss Harvesting. Even as the S&P 500 rocketed 3.4% in the singular Thursday session, volume was only average for the S&P 500 SPDR Trust (SPY). In fact, institutional investors sold $521,000,000 of SPY into the day's strength.
Considering the sheer size and scope of SPY, this isn't a monstrous hit to the net assets. Nor would I regard it as a bearish sign. However, it may indicate a high level of interest in taking profits. It should also give folks reason to expect a higher-than-normal amount of volatility for November and December, as there will be plenty of investors needing to harvest their 2011 tax losses.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV