SEATTLE ( Zillow) -- Halloween is the annual fright night for thrill-seeking trick or treaters. For homeowners, however, a rousing case of hair-raising creeps can crop up anytime, any day of the year.
Homeowner horror stories know no seasonal bounds, and we've collected a slew of scary tales: Homes infested or attacked by myriad invaders, including roaches, mold and sinkholes. We invite you to read on, if you dare.
Snakes in a house
Snakes On A Plane? How about snakes in a house?
Ben and Amber Sessions bought their ideal house in Rexburg, Idaho, in 2009 for a bargain $179,900. The five-bedroom home seemed perfect for their growing family, at least until they met their new roommates. The home was infested with hundreds and hundreds of garter snakes.According to one report, the infestation was so massive that the ground appeared to be moving. During the most intense point of battle, the Sessions killed 42 snakes -- in one day! Despite their efforts, the snakes "won." The Sessions raised the white flag in slithering defeat. So bad was the situation that the Sessions walked away from their house and mortgage. And this from a couple who, when they bought the home, thought the snake infestation was "a myth." The property is now known as the "Snake House" and was put on the Rexburg real estate market in December by the lender, Chase Bank (JPM). That did not last long, as the listing was removed shortly after. There's no word of a prospective buyer brave enough to tackle the snakes. (Check out these photos of the Snake House.) Condemned cottage
On Mother's Day weekend 2009, Chad and Tasha Bennett moved into their two-story, Wakefield, N.H., home with big dreams. A few months later, it was all up in smoke. Or, rather, spores. Their dream was branded unsafe to live in by the town building inspector and health officer. The culprit? Mold. Although the Bennetts had a full home inspection when they bought the piece of Wakefield real estate, it wasn't enough to discover the four kinds of mold flowering in the walls. The tab for the problem totaled $80,000, not limited to structural issues, water and fire hazards.