NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Samsung released its quarterly earnings performance report on Friday, and on the surface the numbers were decent. Despite seeing an earnings dip over the past three months, the company managed to beat analyst expectations.
Digging deeper, however, investors can uncover some impressive news regarding the firm's smartphone division. Although Samsung is still considered a relative newcomer to the industry, the company's products have taken off in popularity.
In fact, over the past quarter, Samsung managed to usurp the throne from Apple (AAPL) to become the world's leading player in the industry, with 24% market share. According to a Reuters report, Samsung shipped nearly 28 million units over the past three months, handedly outpacing Apple's 17 million units.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV