NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Samsung released its quarterly earnings performance report on Friday, and on the surface the numbers were decent. Despite seeing an earnings dip over the past three months, the company managed to beat analyst expectations.
Digging deeper, however, investors can uncover some impressive news regarding the firm's smartphone division. Although Samsung is still considered a relative newcomer to the industry, the company's products have taken off in popularity.
In fact, over the past quarter, Samsung managed to usurp the throne from Apple (AAPL) to become the world's leading player in the industry, with 24% market share. According to a Reuters report, Samsung shipped nearly 28 million units over the past three months, handedly outpacing Apple's 17 million units.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV