Story updated with leader photos
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Ask anyone at Occupy Wall Street and they will tell you there are no leaders. Clearly, though, some people in the movement are more influential, have made more of a commitment and are more visible than others. TheStreet spent some time in Zuccotti Park, as well as some additional research, and did its best to identify a few of them.
Pete Dutro, Finance
Dutro says there is a core of about six people in the group. The 36-year-old Brooklyn resident used to run a tattoo parlor and a software development company and is now studying business technology management and finance at New York University.
However, Dutro says, he "just kind of felt compelled to do it because the woman that started this group, Victoria, she begged and pleaded people for help, cuz nobody wanted to join it, and I knew I had a skill set that would have been useful and best probably applied in this area, so I kinda did it out of moral obligation -- of what would be best for the group, not so much, like what I want to do personally."He says the group has raised $483,000 so far, most of it from online donations. He concedes that after an initial growth spurt, "things are kind of leveling off" in terms of the amount of money they are taking in. Dutro says he got involved in Occupy Wall Street because he was diagnosed with cancer but couldn't afford health insurance. Though he believes he has recovered, he still has no health insurance, so he isn't entirely sure he has a clean bill of health. "I've seen the quality of life in this country decline since I was a kid," he says.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV