The company raised the low end of its previous full-year earnings estimate range and now expects $3.72 to $3.76 a share. Merck said it expects to see revenue growth for the year in the mid-single-digits range.
The company posted third-quarter earnings excluding items of $2.91 billion, or 94 cents a share, compared to $2.65 billion, or 85 cents a share, in the year-ago period. Revenue was up 8% to $12 billion.
Analysts were expecting earnings per share of 91 cents on revenue of $11.91 billion.Revenue was driven by the success of the company's combined diabetes treatment Januvia/Janument. The company reported worldwide sales grew 41% to $1.2 billion in the third quarter driven by strong growth in all regions. Follow TheStreet on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook. Sales of asthma drug Singulair grew 10% from the third quarter of 2010 to $1.3 billion. --Written by Carlton Wilkinson
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV