3. Chevron is an energy major specializing in both upstream and downstream operations. It reports its third-quarter earnings today.
The company resumed exploration and development drilling activity in the Gulf of Mexico and acquired new upstream resource opportunities in Kazakhstan, Australia and the U.S. during the 2011 second quarter. Also, Chevron completed the sale of its fuels marketing and aviation businesses in three Central American countries as well as other assets in China and North America.
During the third quarter, lower crude oil realization is expected to reduce upstream gains. Downstream earnings could be higher, reflecting gains made from asset sales. Both the upstream and downstream operations could benefit from the dollar strengthening against major currencies during the quarter.The company's capital and exploratory expenditure was higher during the first six months of 2011 at $13.4 billion, up from $9.4 billion in the corresponding period last year. Chevron's stock rose 25% in the last one-year and it is trading at 7.9 times its estimated value. The stock has an 81% buy rating and is likely to return 14% over the next year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV