3 Reasons the European Bailout Could Fold Like a Cheap Tent
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The equity markets are rocketing up in jubilation as traders celebrate the European Union's plan to address the continent's banking crisis and put its sovereign debt issues behind it.
But far from solving the issue, the announcement out of Brussels is full of holes, mind-blowing assumptions and downright fiction that will put Europe on a crash course with economic growth and stability for the next decade.
In a research note issued by JPMorgan Chase (JPM) on Thursday appropriately titled "EU Delivers a Little on a Lot of Fronts," the analyst summarizes the key parts of the deal as:
- Banks will need to raise capital levels to 9% by June 2012;
- The EU will leverage up a new China-backed bailout fund to achieve ¿1trillion of lending;
- A "voluntary" bond exchange with a 50% haircut for privately held Greek government debt;
- The EU will pursue term funding guarantees for banks.
Each proposals sound rational and it looks like this was exactly what the market wants to hear. Unfortunately, when you dig in on the details, the solution may actually make the problems worseHere are just three reasons the European bailout will fold like a cheap tent:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV