5. McRib's Return
There are no ribs in a McRib. Not even one. But false advertising is not the bone we have to pick with McDonald's (MCD) over its boneless barbecue pork sandwich.
No, our beef with McDonald's revolves around the shenanigans the company plays with McRib supply. And Monday's announcement that the McRib will be available at all U.S. locations through Nov. 14, instead of scattered select stores does nothing to alleviate our anger that the company continues to stockpile that succulent sandwich in the worst possible way.
If the Germans can order McRibs all year long -- and with a beer too -- then why can't we?"Bringing it back every so often adds to the excitement," said Marta Fearon, McDonald's U.S. marketing director, who would not comment on future McRib offerings. Oh that's just wrong Marta! All you are doing is withholding supply to create an unnatural froth among buyers like in the cases of those tightly controlled tech IPOs. Or, even worse, acting like OPEC when it tries to put a stranglehold on the world's oil supply. But in this case you are cornering a commodity far more important to America's security than energy resources. Tragically, unlike petroleum, there is no Strategic McRib Reserve that the President can tap into during times of trouble. Seriously Marta, that's not adding "excitement." That's just un-American. Look, we know the demand is there for the sandwich, and we are not just talking about the McRib locator Web site, Twitter postings and fringe Facebook groups like "Bring Back the McRib."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV