West Marine, Inc. (Nasdaq: WMAR) today released unaudited operating results for the third quarter and first nine months of 2011.
2011 third quarter highlights:
- Income before taxes for the third fiscal quarter was $12.7 million, a $5.0 million, or 65.9%, increase compared to the same period last year.
- Net income for the third quarter was $11.2 million, or $0.48 per fully diluted share, compared to $7.4 million, or $0.32 per fully diluted share, last year, reflecting a 50.0% increase.
- Net revenues for the quarter were $180.3 million, an increase of 4.5% versus last year. Our comparable store sales were up 3.9%.
- Income before taxes for the first nine months was $40.4 million, a $6.2 million, or 18.1%, increase compared to the same period last year.
- Net income for the first nine months was $43.6 million, or $1.88 per fully diluted share, a 30.6% increase over the $33.0 million, or $1.44 per fully diluted share, in the same period last year.
- Included in year-to-date net income was a $4.8 million, or $0.21 per fully diluted share, income tax benefit related to the reversal of the majority of our tax valuation allowance.
- At the end of the quarter, we were debt-free, and we had a record cash balance of $44.1 million in addition to $98.0 million of availability under our revolving credit facility.
- West Marine is maintaining its previously issued 2011 full-year, pre-tax earnings guidance at a range from $18.5 million to $20.0 million, with fully-diluted earnings per share in a range from $1.05 to $1.16 per share, which includes the tax benefit mentioned above.
Geoff Eisenberg, Chief Executive Officer of West Marine, commented, “We are pleased with the solid results delivered during the third quarter, which fully met our expectations. We continue to be optimistic about our business, as exemplified by the upcoming opening, in just a few weeks, of our Super-Flagship store in Ft. Lauderdale, which will be almost twice as large as any store we’ve ever done.”