While at Credit Suisse, Nides helped broker negotiations in which star executives famously gave back $421 million in bonuses to help the Swiss bank recover from the bursting of the tech bubble.
"The first time I met Tom Nides it cost me and my partners $100 million, and I still like him," says Bennett Goodman, one of those star executives, who is now at the Blackstone Group (BX).
"He's really good at disarming people and sort of charming them and then taking control," says Ambassador Patricia Haslach, Iraq Transition Coordinator at the State Department. "He's very impressive. I've never really worked for anybody quite like him."
Beyond stating a clear desire to return to the private sector, Nides claims he doesn't know what he wants to do next.This claim is not entirely believable. Ask Kantor about Nides' future, and the former U.S. Trade Rep. is a bit more guarded. "I literally wouldn't talk about that because we do discuss that," Kantor says. Whatever it is, it will likely make Nides oft-repeated description of himself as "just a lucky kid from Duluth, Minnesota," sound even less plausible than it already does. -- Written by Dan Freed in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV