College Football 2011: Lessons on Looking Ahead
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- The focus of college football fans lately has been the LSU-Alabama game Nov. 5 between the nations' two top-ranked teams. But as Oklahoma and Wisconsin can attest, looking ahead can be risky, as they both found out last weekend.
With the Sooners and Badgers likely out of the mix for the BCS title, college football fanatics can start sorting out other title-game scenarios, such as Andrew Luck's Stanford or Boise State in the BCS National Championship Game. Don't worry, Oklahoma State, we'll get to you in a moment.
|Tajh Boyd, Clemson|
Let's face it, Oklahoma wasn't supposed to lose to Texas Tech last week. Wisconsin had a defense that was ranked one position higher in the NCAA than Michigan State for points allowed, and yet gave up a Hail Mary as time expired -- the biggest no-no in defensive lore.
This is why college football fans are as pumped in the last week of October as they were at the beginning of September.Six BCS conference teams remain unbeaten. Clemson should have lost two weeks ago after being down 38-24 to Maryland mid third quarter. Oklahoma State should have lost after a dysfunctional first half against Texas A&M -- but now it's the Cowboys who are in prime position to win the Big 12 and a BCS Championship berth. You'd think that fans would have a week to recuperate from last week's mayhem to prepare for next week's BCS No. 1 vs. No. 2 clash, instead they get Andrew Luck playing at Southern Cal for one of Stanford's most important road games ever. Fans also get the World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party (no longer the preferred description in academia) when the Florida Gators and No. 22 Georgia meet for the 88th time (89th if you're a Bulldog) in Jacksonville, Fla., which is one of the most
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV