Incomes of Top 1% Rose 275% in 28 Years
Households in the top 1% of wage earners saw their after-tax incomes more than double between 1979 and 2007, significantly outpacing each of the other income brackets' growth in wages in those years, according to a report from the Congressional Budget Office released Tuesday.
In total, after-tax incomes for the top 1% shot up by 275% from 1979 to 2007, the CBO found. Those in the next higher bracket -- the highest 20% of earners (excluding the top 1%) -- saw their earnings increase by 65%, which is not insignificant but only a small fraction of the gains had at the tippy top.Meanwhile, wages have been comparatively stagnant at the low end of the income spectrum. The bottom 20% saw their wages increase by just 18% during that 28-year period. As a result, the CBO found that those in the bottom 80% of wage earners saw their share of the nation's total income decline by 2 to 3 percentage points depending on which bracket they were in, while the top 20% of income earners saw their share increase by 10 percentage points, largely driven by gains among the top 1%. No wonder the other 99% are so upset. (Hat tip to the Wall Street Journal) >To submit a news tip, email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow TheStreet on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV