LAN Airlines S.A. (NYSE: LFL), one of Latin America’s leading passenger and cargo airlines, announced today its consolidated financial results for third quarter ended September 30, 2011. “LAN” or “the Company” makes reference to the consolidated entity, which includes passenger and cargo airlines in Latin America. All figures were prepared in accordance with International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) and are expressed in U.S. Dollars.
- LAN reported net income of US$94.5 million in third quarter 2011, a decrease of 11.0% compared to the US$106.2 million reported in third quarter 2010. Results this quarter were driven by solid traffic growth, reflected in strong yields and load factors in both the passenger and cargo businesses. This was partially offset by the continued impact of the startup of LAN’s operations in Colombia as well as, at a non-operating level, exchange rate differences resulting from the depreciation of local currencies.
- Total revenues in third quarter 2011 reached US$1,486.5 million compared to US$1,152.3 million in third quarter 2010 due to a 32.6% increase in passenger revenues and a 22.5% increase in cargo revenues. Revenue increases reflected the continued strong demand in both the passenger and cargo businesses. Passenger and cargo revenues accounted for 71.3% and 26.6% of total revenues, respectively, during third quarter 2011.
- Operating income reached US$161.2 million in third quarter 2011, a 2.9% increase compared to US$156.6 million in third quarter 2010. Operating margin reached 10.8% compared to 13.6% in third quarter 2010.
- During the quarter, LAN was able to offset a 42.8% increase in fuel prices through effective fuel surcharge mechanisms and strong passenger and cargo demand, reflected in solid yield growth and load factor increases.
- LAN continued to advance with the turnaround of its Colombian operations. During the third quarter, the Company incurred in costs associated with the launch of the LAN brand in Colombia, scheduled for December 2011. This included painting all aircraft with LAN livery, migrating AIRES to LAN’s IT systems and designing marketing initiatives aimed at integrating Colombia into LAN’s regional network.
- In line with the Company’s expansion, the Company received 4 Airbus A320 and 1 Boeing 767-300 passenger aircraft during third quarter 2011.
- LAN and TAM obtained the approvals from Chile’s antitrust court (TDLC) and Spain’s antitrust authority to continue with the merger transaction. No further antitrust approvals are required in Europe. LAN and TAM appealed before the Supreme Court of Chile, objecting three of the mitigation measures imposed by the TDLC, which the companies deem to be unconstitutional and disproportionately severe. The companies believe that the appeal process will not delay LAN and TAM’s plans to bring the transaction into effect. The companies believe the transaction can be concluded towards the end of the first quarter 2012.
Agreement with TAMOn August 13, 2010, LAN and TAM announced that they entered into a non-binding MOU, outlining their intentions to combine their holdings under a single parent entity to be known as LATAM Airlines Group. The proposed combination of LAN and TAM would be among the 10 major airline groups in the world.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV