One notable thing about this week's technical trading opportunities is just how similar many of them look. By and large, we're looking at stocks that are threatening to break out after bottoming early in October. Part of that is thanks to the excessively high correlations that continue to keep asset classes in lockstep with one another.
A perfect example of that is Juniper Networks (JNPR), the $12 billion IT networking firm.
Juniper bottomed at the start of October, signaling a reversal with the bullish engulfing candle that thrust shares back to the $18 level. This stock has seen strong resistance at $22 since early August -- and that level finally got tested again yesterday. Positive continuation this morning would generate a buyable signal for shares.The major gap in Juniper from July essentially opens up a pretty large void where shares haven't changed hands - that opens up the upside for a more significant price target just shy of $30 for swing traders. On that trade, I'd suggest placing a protective stop just below the 50-day moving average. Juniper, recently featured in "5 Tech Stocks Poised For Big Earnings Moves," was one of Goldman Sachs' Best Tech Stocks for 2011.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV