Alcoa (AA) always gets attention during earnings season -- after all, the $11.3 billion aluminum producer is traditionally the firm that kicks off earnings for the quarter. But while Alcoa's earnings are behind it now, traders should still be paying attention to the technical setup that's shaping up in shares.
That's because Alcoa is forming an ascending triangle, a bullish setup that currently has resistance right around the $10.50 level. Essentially, the formation works like this: With a horizontal resistance level acting as a sort of "price ceiling" above shares, and uptrending support below, Alcoa's price is getting bounced between two key technical levels. As prices absorb some of the excess supply of shares on bounces off of their static resistance level, the chances for an upside breakout increase dramatically.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV